READ ON ABOUT:

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Theme Thursday: FIRE

When I was a kid I always wanted advice from my dad. I think that I'm still that way. Anything my dad likes I tend to gravitate towards. Well when I was in elementary school my dad told me that I had to read this book he read in fifth grade. I was always a reader so of course I was excited! The book was "Fahrenheit 451". I don't remember actually reading the book at that time. I think I read it later on - maybe when I was 13 or 14. I loved it! I read it again in high school and now I'm wondering why it's not on my shelf with all the other books I re-read among the bajillion I have yet to pick up. Hmm... well in any case. Enough about me, what about the book?

- Written by Ray Bradbury
- Bradbury was born in Waukegan, IL (one of my most hated places in this world)
- The book is not about censorship. It's truly about the way television has made people see the world. Literature is not regarded the way it used to be and neither is information. The world is comprised of "facts". Interesting since I just read Neil Postman's book about the same concept.
- 451 is not actually the temperature at which books with self-ignite. It is almost double that degree in reality.

Everyone in their lifetime should pick this book up and take a look at it; read a couple pages and realize who awesome it truly is. Then... find another Bradbury to read.

-Kels

p.s. Sorry I don't do reviews - I'm not very good at them.

8 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Very interesting. I have read Bradbury before, but as of yet, have never read this one. Gonna have to check out paperbackswap and find me a copy!

DineometerDeb said...

Why do you hate Waukegan???? I really liked that area, right on the lake so I could go for a walk on the pier, near a state park and many sailors....what more could you want?

Colette Amelia said...

I remember having to read Mr. Bradbury in school...a little different to my tastes but now that I am older and so much more refined (ha ha) I just might appreciate the man...will have to give it a go!

thanks!

One of the best books I read recently was the Life of Pi I enjoyed it tremondously!

Michael Rawluk said...

That book is a classic. Bradbury is an underapprerciated author.

Ronda Laveen said...

I have always loved Bradybury and stumbled upon him by myself when I was in 7th grade. I started with the "Illustrated Man." "451" was fairly radical in its day. Nice pick for TT.

Mrsupole said...

I read this Bradbury book in high school, but that was so long ago. I have pretty much forgotten so many of them, well pratically all of them. It is nice to be reminded about them, even without a book review.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

God bless.

Cuppa Jo said...

I have this book on my shelf now, waiting to be read. I meant to read it when I was in high school, there were like 50 copies sitting around in this one room. Don't know why I didn't read it then.

Soon though.

GailO said...

I haven't read this book in a long time but I remember really enjoying it...thanks for reminding me that I should reread it sometime...great entry for fire theme!