READ ON ABOUT:

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Theme Thursday: EGG

World
Egypt
Mt. Sinai
St. Catherine's Monastery


Not too long ago I watched a video about St. Catherine's Monastery at Mount Sinai. The Christian monastery is one of the oldest in existence. Although it is Orthodox it is regarded as holy land to Muslims, Jews, and Christians alike. Each year Muslims come to the monastery and are given a loaf of bread and two eggs each. I can't remember what part of the year they do this but it is a pretty interesting occurrence. Why two eggs? It seems odd to me. This place is in the middle of the desert. It's hot. Very hot. How do they preserve these eggs for long? Or do they eat them on the spot? I just don't get it. I think I'd be inclined to ask for a glass of water instead.

-Kels

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
NOT SURE IF I'LL BE BACK BEFORE THE 15TH
AS WE WILL BE IN FREMONT ON BREAK

8 comments:

Ronda Laveen said...

Interesting! Food for thought. Have to check out that 2 egg thing. Have a nice vac.

Brian Miller said...

interesting story about the monastery. if it is that hot, maybe they find a nice flat rock to fry them up on? water please! have a great break!

Reyjr said...

enjoy your vacation!

Wings1295 said...

Interesting post. Have a great one!

Tom said...

hmmm..don't know.
Happy Thursday

Mrsupole said...

I have never heard that story before, will have to ask hubby if he has. Wonder what it means to give them the eggs. Seems strange them even accepting anything from the nuns.

Have fun on your vacation. Take it nice and easy.

God bless.

Dakota Bear said...

Interesting, I wonder why two eggs. I'll be in Egypt in November and going to see that Monastery. maybe I'll get an answer to that question then.

Kris McCracken said...

Or lemonade...