READ ON ABOUT:

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Lucky Ones


Today I was driving to school and I was thinking about how weird it is to not really know yourself for half your life. In all honesty I don't know who I was before I hit 4th or 5th, maybe even 6th grade. If I'm really honest I don't remember any full periods of time before I turned 12 in 7th grade. How weird it is that I only truly remember 8 1/2 years of my life?

Do you ever wonder if you really remember something or if you only "think" you remember it? My mom and dad were really great about videotaping my family and taking a ton of pictures over the years. If I combine those records with the stories I've grown up hearing and then telling others about I can piece together memories of me before age 12.

I guess I'm lucky that I even have that. So many people know nothing about their present or past selves. So many people don't have mothers or fathers, brothers or sisters, any family at all. I've got everything in the world.

I always say that I'm proud of my relationship - that is has lasted through 8 1/2 years - six of which took place in classrooms and the remainder of which I count as "the grown up years". But really.. I'm not proud - I'm lucky. What would I do without Anthony? What would he do without me? I think we'd be really different people and certainly in very different situations than we are in now. Whether that would be for the better or worse I can never know.

My grandparents were lucky to have known each other as long as I've known Anthony - the part of my life that I can actually remember - the part of their lives that they could actually remember - around the age of 12.

We're the lucky ones, I suppose.

-Kels

2 comments:

Lynette Fraga-weems said...

You are by far the most awesome blogger of all time! I love Harbor Cottage and I love you! By the by...was this picture taken at the notorious Cindo De Mayo Party on Saturday Night..May 1, 2010. Tequila and Infamy!

M said...

Cute blog:)


Im having a giveaway, check it out.

http://dailylifewithm.blogspot.com/2010/05/giveaway-classy-and-sassy-charms.html