READ ON ABOUT:

Friday, April 22, 2016

Earth Day with Lou Lou (That's Lee, BTW)

Today Leeland and I had plans to take a little morning hike with a couple of our friends. Unfortunately, we got rained out! When it cleared in the afternoon I decided we would take a chance and get out for Earth Day anyway!

We drove over to Coyote Hills and enjoyed a (mostly) sunny, beautiful walk outside. On our last 1/2 mile or so we were pelted with rain, and we came home drenched. It was totally worth it, though to spend some quality time with my little dude! 

I read the story of Coyote Hills to Lee, so that he could learn about the Ohlone people and the Patterson Ranch, but he really didn't care about anything today besides eating all of his snacks and whining for more snacks. Geez. 

I am signed up for the EBRPD Trails Challenge again this year and I finally picked up my t-shirt from the visitor center today. Yes, I can now cross that off of my long to-do list. I also got my first couple of miles in for my log. Woo! I am hoping to start taking little excursions with Lee each week from here on out (when we can). It helps to pass the time so that we're not feeling trapped in our living room, like animals in a cage. 

Also, here is a brief history of Earth Day that I wrote: 

In the 1960s, a man named Gaylord Nelson began speaking out about the future of our planet, using words like "deforestation" and "conservation". Good thing Nelson was a big-wig politician (he served in the Wisconsin State Senate and twice served as governor of that state) who had an in with President Kennedy. In 1963 Kennedy embarked on an 11-state tour, with hopes of inspiring conservation efforts. It was a bit of a flop, so Nelson then went on a tour of his own, this time visiting 25 states. He continued spreading the word about conservation and protecting our Earth and its resources. However, it wasn't until 6 years later that Nelson came up with the idea to stage a large meeting of like-minds. In 1970 20 million people participated in Nelson's demonstration. The event finally got the politicians to start listening! The following year, in 1971 the United Nations established Earth Day as an international holiday. It has been celebrated every year on April 22nd ever since. 

Happy Earth Day to you all!




before the rain: 

after the rain (and snacks): 


Kels

No comments: