READ ON ABOUT:

Thursday, February 18, 2016

when time flies FAST.

I'm sitting on the floor of our living room right now (watching Parks and Rec with a Down to Earth) and I'm basically on the edge of my (carpet?) for my son to wake up. The reality of my life is that I have a kid who goes down for the night between 7 and 8pm, SOMETIMES 630, and wakes up in the morning between 7 and 9am, USUALLY 830. We're talking 12 hours every single night. I'm not bragging. I'm not complaining. I'm just stating the facts. My child is a sleeper. He plays hard, he naps during the day and he sleeps at night.

*here's to praying that I didn't just jinx this magic right before 2 weekends out of town 
When Lee was less than a month old we took a trip down to Southern California to visit with family for my cousin Katie's wedding. While we made our way down the state our little dude slept like a champ. When we got there he slept all bundled in between pillows on the second bed in our room. He literally DID NOT CARE that we were not home; He didn't care that we were in the same room with him (which was definitely odd for us as a group to be in the one space); and he made our trip way more easy and fun than it should have been for brand new parents.

When he was about 1 week old we had put him in his own room. Between 1 and 2 months old we had transitioned him from his bassinet to his crib. He has NEVER slept in our bed as a part of his sleep routine. I think that in the past (almost) 11 months he has spent something like 8 hours total in our bed during sleeping hours. Every single time up to now I have felt nothing but this immense guilt when doing so, as if I was committing some crime against both myself and our tiny human.

Like all people, Lee goes through wake cycles in the night. He wakes up and talks a little bit. On occasion he gets upset, but generally he just talks himself back to sleep. In the past two weeks it has become increasingly obvious to my husband and I that this kid is straight up teething / going through a major growth spurt. He's been sleeping most of the day, going down at his regular time, and waking up 2-3 times a night for a bottle or just a little bit of mom/dad time. We've just been holding him for a few minutes and then laying him back down in his bed. A couple of times this week though, we have let him lay in our bed for a couple of hours. In these instances he has gone from crying to sitting between us to laying his head down on my pillow in a matter of minutes.

Because of this, in combination with the fact that my freaking NEWBORN BABY is 5 weeks away from being a ONE YEAR OLD, I am just really looking forward to the possibility of maybe holding my little dude tonight, and possibly snuggling him in our bed for a few hours.

This kid right here. This independent, adorable genius of a child. 

Yes, this whole entire story/rant/post/whatever was leading up to that one simple statement. I want to snuggle my child before he becomes even more independent and grown up than he already is and decides that he doesn't want "mama" anymore. I no longer fear that a few random hours in our bed will "ruin my child for life" or create a child that is so attached to me that I completely regret it and want to kill myself. I just want to love on my kid, and I want to do it before he gets any older and less-babylike.

So there, go ahead and judge me one way or the other -- for what I have done in the past, for what I may or may not do today, for what I did say and for what I did not say.

Life is short, guys, and extremely unpredictable. Appreciate what you've got, right now. OK?

Kels

1 comment:

Lynette Fraga-weems said...

First of all, as usual you say it perfectly and honestly. I agree, it's so hard to decide what to do when your little baby wants mama. I feel somewhat responsible for your anxiety of allowing Lee to sleep with you or not sleep with you. Just know that everything you have done for his 11 months of life have made him the independent special little boy that he is. He is fun and happy and loves his family. You can wonder for the rest of your life whether or not you should have done this or should have done that, but the reality is we do what we do as life presents itself and I am so incredibly proud of the parents you and Anthony are and adore my little man, his mama and dada. I love you all!!!