READ ON ABOUT:

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

late-night fairy


It's 9pm and everyone in my house is asleep. Well, except me, the dog and the cat. Those two pretty much go wherever I go. Anthony is working a 5:30am shift this week since his crew is on a project that makes a lot of noise (so you do the work early in the morning?) doesn't make any sense to me... but I digress, and Lee goes down for the night by 7pm, so tonight I'm the only human downstairs after 8. 

I was sitting here on my phone (typical waste of time) when I started looking around. I saw a sink full of dishes, random items strewn throughout the house, toys all over the floor, DVDs all the over the floor (thanks Lee), etc... So, I started cleaning up. Apparently, at a certain time of the day I turn into the late-night cleaning fairy. I get every single item back in its place, usually with a beer in hand, before I finally retire to the bedroom to read for awhile - aka fall asleep with the light on and a book in my hand. Why do I do this to myself? Do other people do this every night? Is it just women? I feel extremely frustrated with the fact that I am actually RUSHING through this post so that I can pick up all the messes and finally relax. Shouldn't I be able to relax with a mess? And why do I need a reward AKA a beverage? It's insanity!

I guess that tonight I will not relax ---- yet. My nature says otherwise. Tonight I will be a fairy who cleans the house so that my husband can wake up in the morning and be like, "What and when?" and my kid can wake up and terrorize everything all over again. 

Maybe I will grab that beer after all. 

-Kels

1 comment:

Lynette Fraga-weems said...

Love this post! Again, feeling responsible for the anxiety of keeping the house kept up. You do it because it makes you happy, whether you admit it or not. I know you better than anyone else, since I am your mama and even as a little girl, you liked to play, but also like to put things back where they belonged. There is nothing wrong with this, unless you don't enjoy the final outcome, which is of course why you do it. The satisfaction of a job well done and providing a place that your husband and baby can feel safe and loved.