READ ON ABOUT:

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

internet life vs. real life PART ONE: Kid parties


OK, who the hell has enough time and energy to plan one of those legit kid parties that you see on the internet? I'm talking matching everything, themed everything, DIY and/or expensive everything. Really, who? 

Excuse me. What I mean is, who in my REAL LIFE has the time, money or energy? 

I hate to do the "when I was a kid" thing, but, when I was a kid I don't even think we had goody bags, let alone a theme. In the home movies everyone is smoking cigarettes inside and the birthday boy or girl is basically crawling or running around with his or her cousins without a care for why the party is even happening. It's just a reason for the adults to get together and eat a shit-ton of clam dip. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony and I are starting to "work on" Lee's 1st birthday party. While we can all admit that party #1 is for the parents and not the kid, I still find it absolutely exciting to have one for our little dude. It's like a right of passage to have a first birthday party. Now, by "work on" what I mean is, hey let's pick a date and think of a theme and make an invitation. 

Our theme started out as this really funny, insanely detailed idea for a party. We're down to something mega simple and fun. The most exciting part for Anthony is making the invitation, because I've handed it over to him and said, "Please do as you wish!" For me, I'm excited that we will get to spend a fun day with family and friends, drink some beers at a first bday party, and that my son will finally get to smash his face, hands, whatever - maybe nothing (no expectations here) into his own tiny cake. The kid's had sugar, but nothing like a big slice of chocolate goodness. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just saying, I'm excited, but this party isn't going to top any "best party" lists on the internet. It's going to be simple; It's going to be fun. And please, dear God, NO RAIN! K, thanks.

Kels

3 comments:

Sheri said...

You're so funny! All so true. ..except... goodie bags were around back then ;) that was the best part!! Lol ♡♡

Sheri said...

You're so funny! All so true. ..except... goodie bags were around back then ;) that was the best part!! Lol ♡♡

Lynette Fraga-weems said...

I never had a goodie bag, but see Sheri did. She was younger and luckier. Whatever you decide it will be fun and special, because it's Lee's first birthday...right?!