READ ON ABOUT:

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Muir Woods & Muir Beach

We went on a little adventure with Samantha and Mike this past Sunday to celebrate my last day of pre-summer session summertime. I'd never been to Muir Woods but I've been saying for YEARS that I need to get out there and with our new National Parks Pass I feel like visiting park after park after park. You know?
Muir Woods itself does not have much in the way of hiking. The longest hike that stays within the woods is like 1.5 miles. However, the whole park is kind of encased inside Mt. Tamalpais so it's definitely an option to extend your hike into that park as well.




We learned about this amazingly old redwood that burned down hundreds of years ago. All around it new trees sprang up from the living roots below the dead tree. I think that is just so cool that a non-living tree can sprout living offspring.
Muir Woods claims to have the tallest trees in the world. However, I'm fairly certain that those reside in Humbolt County.


I don't know why I have a thing for old men with long ass beards, but I do.
After we left Muir Woods we drove over to Muir Beach. We passed an awesome little B&B called the Pelican Inn and Muir Beach has an amazing mountain hike over the water that we didn't get a chance to do. We are definitely leaning toward trying to stay in this area for our 2 year anniversary this year.




If you find yourself with a little free time and you're within the SF Bay Area it is definitely worth visiting this beautiful monument to our redwoods. The website is HERE >>> MUIR WOODS.

Kels

2 comments:

jes @ twosmuppies said...

BAH! i miss SF. and muir woods. i remember i got so carsick driving up there. but it all went away after i got a dose of that redwood fresh air.

Kelsey said...

@jes - I get carsick too!! I hate that. It drives me crazy that I have to drive or sleep or, well, feel pukey.