READ ON ABOUT:

Thursday, March 8, 2012

2012 Trails Challenge

Every year the EBRPD (Easy Bay Regional Parks District) organizes the Trails Challenge. It's a self-paced challenge for bay area residents to get out and explore their regional parks. They give you a t-shirt and if you hike 5 trails or something (pretty simple, right?) throughout the entire year you get a pin. My MIL told me about it... so thanks Raynita!

I signed up because there's a mobile app you can use and it's nice to feel like I'm part of a larger community. I think that I can go retroactive in logging in my hikes, so I can log Mission Peak twice.


I have a goal to get in one hike a week. I don't necessarily think I can do once a week every single time, because sometimes obligations get in the way - but I'm shooting for it.

This weekend Robby and I are hiking Mt. Diablo's Grand Loop trail. It's 6.2 miles round trip and I've heard it's the best view around. I'm hoping for a clear day with no fog. I've lived here my whole life and never been to Mt. Diablo, so I'm basically ecstatic!

This year I want to hike Half Dome. I've never done it and Anthony is going with me. We are going to get our permits early and probably stay at Little Yosemite for the night so we can make it a weekend trip! Half Dome is about 16 miles round trip.

 
There is also a hike at Big Basin that I want to do. We love their campground - it's so fun and community oriented - so this one should be fun. Plus!!! I love hiking to water and this one includes a waterfall. The Berry Creek Falls Loop is 10 miles round trip.

Other than that - I definitely want to explore our local parks and see some of those trails I drive by all the time.

Wish me luck that I don't wake up late on Sunday and end up hiking Mt. Diablo in full sun!

Kels

1 comment:

Donna said...

Come on up here and hike Lassen peak. Day hike or night/full moon hike. Beautiful!!