READ ON ABOUT:

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

EUROPE!!! Part 4

Let me just say that I appreciated the iPhone I promised myself I wouldn't pack that I threw into my suitcase before I left for this trip because each morning and night (well... night and morning back home) I was able to connect with Ant for a few minutes via the WhatsApp and Tango apps. I didn't spend a dime on phone calls or internet either. Pretty sweet!
Let's see... where was I on this Euro-recap of mine?
The third day in Rome was a free day so I grouped up with some of the same people and from the day before and we headed out for a huge hill. I don't remember the name of the hill but I do remember that when we found it someone told us that the museum we were looking for required pre-booking or something so we just wandered around all day.

First we found this awesome plaza called The Piazza del Popolo

The obelisk of Ramesses II ^^
yep... two churches that are basically identical. Weird, right? ^^

Rutheigh^^

Me in the Piazza. Can you tell it was cold? and VERY windy!
Looking up from the bottom of the obelisk ^^ and below



There were so many fountains in this piazza
Can you imagine this place full of people? It was huge!


Yoda!! ^^


our little traveling group that day ^^






Jamie ^^

We ended up going into the National Etruscan Museum kind of by mistake. It was very small and everything was very very old. Pre-Roman-Era.
Then after we grabbed lunch we wandered over to this awesome castle - again, by mistake. It's called the Castel Sant'Angelo. It encases the tomb of Hadrian (the originally designer of the castle) and has so many rooms inside that it's probably impossible to see them all. We only saw a few before we headed to the top for some amazing views of Rome.




St. Michael (1536 by Raffaello da Montelupo) ^^ originally meant to grace the top of the castle.


Looking towards Vatican City^^





Don't these trees look like broccoli? ^^


The angel that replaced St. Michael on the top of the castle ^^ (1753 by Peter Anton von Verschaffelt)

Me and Kate ^^
Claudia, Kate and me ^^
below the castle is a bridge over the Tiber River called the Ponte Sant'Angelo (Hadrian's Bridge). There are 10 angels on the bridge. They are so beautiful and these photos don't do them justice because we were there at night.  
"Angel with the lance" ^^
"Angel with the cross" ^^
"Angel with the crown of thorns" ^^ with the inscription 'In aerumna mea dum configitur spina' which means something like - "In my anguish - a crown of thorns"
Over the Tiber River ^^ and below




then we wandered some more until dinner
It was really really really yummy (and different) Minestrone soup!


The end.

just kidding...

stay tuned for Part 5...

Kels

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks like you had an amazing time!!