READ ON ABOUT:

Friday, January 27, 2012

Made to Break

I just started my last general education class at Ohlone (It's BIOLOGY) and our first assignment was to watch a video called "The Story of Stuff" and comment on it. The super quick explanation for this video is that Americans are consumers first and foremost and we are not disposing of our "stuff" in the right way. Additionally, the companies that produce all of our "stuff" are not doing it in the most economical way. Now, honestly that is the really short version-- if you want to see it yourself just google "The Story of Stuff" and you'll find it. 

I realized that this GE class that I have been dreading like crazy could actually be a HUGE help in my next Historical Writing class as San Jose State. I mean.. can we just talk about the policies we implement in this country for a second? After World War I our government was banning the ideas of thrift and reuse and pushing us to buy, buy, buy MORE MORE MORE in order to boost our economy. Sound familiar? Then, after 9/11, President Bush told us to "GO SHOPPING!" WHAT?!?!

Things are made to break nowadays and I don't know about everyone else, but it kind of pisses me off. 

The terms "thrifty" and "frugal" are coming back, guys, and I'm one of those who wave the flag of reuse proudly. I just hope my sewing machine doesn't break cause I am not trying to buy one that will die on me within a year.

Anyway... I'll return to this topic at a later date when I'm a little more educated and little less hopped up on Gnarly Head. The End. 

Kels

No comments: