READ ON ABOUT:

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Funerals and Life

Last Friday we drove out to Napa to attend a funeral service for my dad's aunt Marjorie. I didn't know her very well because we didn't spend time with her family during the part of my life that I can actually remember... but she knew me as a wee babe. I met her a couple of months ago at our family reunion and I was shocked to find out that she looks pretty much exactly like my grandmother (although I will say, for the sake of my love of my grandma, that Gradma Marlette is more beautiful). [Aunt Marjorie - if you're reading this from Heaven I hope you understand. From what I've learned, you received a ton of love while you were here with us from your MASSIVE family so.. we're cool, right?]

Anyway... My grandma is one of six (I think) - she doesn't really have photos of her family in her house - just of all us grandkids and our aunts and uncles - and she is one of four girls. Marjorie, Marlette, Myrus and someone else who starts with an "M". I can't remember her name at the moment. I find it interesting that they were all named with the same first letter. I don't know..stuff like that entertains me I guess.

While we were there the parishioner (I don't know if that's what you call him - but whatever, good enough) gave us a couple pieces of advice. 

He said, "Life is not a dress rehearsal."
and
"Wherever you are, be all there."

Both are quotes from notable writers / figures and I'm sorry but you'll have to google those names on your own if you want to find out who they are.

I really took those pieces of advice to heart. I am not one to live in the moment - I'm always looking two steps ahead and often I'm told that I'm not truly listening. (Anthony) and he's right... most of the time.

And.. really, I need to get working on my bucket list. I can't keep spending time on the couch watching reruns. Although having a puppy who can't go outside yet is making that one difficult. I need to get in shape people! And from there I need to do things on that list.

Well, I've got off topic again...

Spending time with my grandma always reminds me of how much I can learn from her. From her past and her present... there is so much that she remembers and I struggle to keep track of all the things she says when she is talking because she tends to go a mile a minute. But you know what.. I know someone else like that. ME!


Here's my Papa D.O.
They always stick me in the front. I hate it. My brothers informed me that I looked like a slob that day and I didn't dress appropriately for a funeral. I informed them that I have gained fifteen pounds and I can't fit into my clothes. They asked if I was pregnant. My dad just laughed. Men don't understand.
Here's my Grandma Marlette
See! She's even talking here. Probably asking me.. "What are you doing Kelsey?"

Funerals always do this to me. So many thoughts at once - good thing I have a bunch of new journals from my brother man Eduardo. I might crack one of those babies open tonight. Who knows?

p.s. If you can avoid watching your grandmother cry - do so - it sucks.

Kels

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful kels, Im so sorry.

Renee said...

Why do you always make me cry?