READ ON ABOUT:

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

If you can't find me...

I'm probably in my closet
wait... what?!
Well, I recently decided that since I am starting at SJSU in exactly 15 days (insert butterflies here) I should probably create some sort of homework / study space in our house. I always had an issue with my stand alone desk because I'm so short and it's too high for me to comfortably type on a keyboard while using it.  

So.... I turned our spare closet into an office.

I am really kicking myself for not taking pictures of the closet when it was crammed full of stuff we didn't want to look at. However, I did have Ant take a photo of me just after he had finished the desk. 
It took a lot of me asking, "So when are you going to finish the legs for my desk?" and "So is that paint can going to open itself and paint the desk for me?" before I finally was able to say, "Wow! My desk is finished! I love you! Now get out so I can put all my crap in it!"
Anyway, here it is!
My mom had old curtains lying around so I nabbed those and sewed them together so they'd be long enough to reach the floor and I threaded them onto a shower curtain rod. Of course they are a shade of my favorite color: green. 
I put up all the stuff I hadn't really felt appropriate for our house but couldn't give up. 
From left: My grandma and grandpa folding newspapers as kids, slightly too provocative painting by Ora, signed Jason Mraz concert poster (yes he did kiss me on that occasion), photos of me and my papa, Axel as a wee kitty, SF postcard, photo of my grandma and grandpa on the day that my Gramm's always says she was drunk in front of his family and they called her a lush, MIL and DIL - Me and Ant - Mom and Dad, artwork from one of my favorite CDs circa 2006?
Here is my cute little desk. It's the perfect size for a laptop and a textbook for all those essays I'll be writing. Above is one of my favorite paintings by Chuck Close. It's a painted self portrait of a polaroid self portrait. 
Behind me on the other side of the closet is my table with my sewing box, one of my current textbooks and of course my Harry Potter glasses Ant found at a flea market in San Jose. If only I wasn't planning to be Garth from Wayne's World for Halloween... Maybe next year.

And I shoved my cork board behind it for randoms that I find. 
We had to take out the closet unit before we started on this project - and it was one of those big metal ones that never actually hold anything properly - so of course there were a ton of those horrible anchor screws in the drywall. I ripped them all out one day and I was left with holes everywhere so I got crafty and covered them with buttons. Aren't they cute? 
Well here I am in my new spot. I love it so much and I am seriously hoping we don't move anywhere in the near future. The only question is... do I have to put that darn closet unit back in when we move out?  I guess I'll find out when the time comes. 

If anybody has clever ideas for getting a light in here without installing any type of wiring and without said light having to sit on my desk please send them onward. Thanks!

Kels

3 comments:

Design Eat Repeat said...

This is so cool! You could put one of those hanging paper pop-up lanterns on the ceiling above your desk. You would just have to probably get an extension cord so the plug in reaches to the nearest outlet. IKEA sells those for really cheap, and since they are lightweight they are easy to hang! Hope that helps :)

Lynette Fraga-weems said...

I know just the trick! Excited to help with the lightening issue!

Anonymous said...

Kels this is so cute! Can you make me one and kid proof it so my daughter cant bug me! Lol I LOVE the button idea!