READ ON ABOUT:

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Pen Pal for a Nerd like Me

You know that scene in Grease when all the girls are sitting around Frenchie's room for a sleepover and Marty is spraying her note paper with perfume to send to her pen pal? 



Well the first thing you should know is that when I was a kid Grease was probably the most played movie in our house and I would dance around singing all the words. I own the soundtrack. I own the movie. I wish Anthony danced like John Travolta and I wish my hair swished around like Olivia Newton John's in the ice cream parlor scene.

But I digress...

I always loved that sleepover scene because Marty seemed so cool and she had something like eight pen pals to write to that night.

"Wouldn't it be awesome to have someone to write letters to across the country or across the world?" I would think to myself. 

Well here I am years later still thinking about the idea of a pen pal.
I've been on websites dedicated to snail mail but I never committed to following through with anything. Recently I joined a website for bloggers in their twenties and stumbled upon Annie who had made it #25 on her 30 before 30 list to have a pen pal. I asked her if she needed help and she said YES!


Meet Annie:

Today she posted about how stressful it has felt to try and write a first letter to me. 
I thought I would alleviate some of her concern right here and now

I sat down last night to write to Annie for the first time. I found myself writing so rapidly that I could barely read my own writing. (I think it has something to do with the fact that I never write anything down anymore and I'm used to typing at a supersonic speed and so my thoughts move through my brain much too quickly for my hand to write them down legibly)

I wrote things like.. 'sorry this handwriting is so sloppy' - wow flashback to 7th grade notes to my friends - and 'what should I even say in a first letter? I don't want to tell you everything at once but I don't want to make this first letter too short either!'

So far it's pretty hard to have a pen pal - but it's not her fault. I obviously can't calm down ever and I turn everything into a big freaking deal. 

Sorry Annie. I promise to focus tomorrow and send you something good.

This snail mail stuff is tough.
But seriously, should I spray my paper with perfume?

Kels

3 comments:

Anna said...

hahaha WE ARE THE SAME PERSON!
I cannot wait to get my letter!

Kelsey said...

woooo!

Donna said...

One of my favorite parts of the movie Julie and Julia(Julia and Julie?) is Julia Child writing to her pen pal Astrid whom she finally gets to meet after years of just exchanging letters.