READ ON ABOUT:

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Think My Dad Became His Dad

It's been a little over a week since my Papa D.O.'s memorial and burial. I've spent a week thinking about the fact that even though I'm about to type a list of things my dad graciously inherited from my papa, he is the evolving man in our family. He's a-changing that's for sure. And if you're reading this dad then I expect that you already know this because ummm hello! You are reading my blog!

1. Always has chapstick in his pocket
2. Always has a hankerchief in his pocket
3. Picks up anything and everything off the ground (everything has value, right?)
3b. Sanitizes said object
3c. Attemps to give to daughter as a "gift"
4. Knows the meaning of frugal
5. Reuses all objects (The time we were told to use the toilet paper we had been teepeed with when using the bathroom)
6. Can be found in the backyard smashing cans for recycling
7. Can be found in the backyard chopping mass amounts of wood for his collection
8. Wears clothes he bought 20 years ago - until the holes show parts of the body that should not be revealed a shirt is still in good shape. Even then, you never know.
9. The ability to maintain a close relationship with God
10. Keeps every scrap of paper or memento that has ever crossed his path
11. Says words such as "Seegars" (cigars), "Ocifer John Law" (A Policeman), "Over and Out Ox" (I'm not sure - but it happens a lot)
12. Enjoys the great outdoors - a nice hike or a bike ride
13. Goes for walks on his lunches
14. Forces the family to stop at scenic overlooks (We used to do that all the time)
15. Enjoys the daily paper and plays board and card games
16. Grabs any and all trash off the ground and carries it to the nearest garbage

Oh and you can't forget -

17. Has that awkard Papa D.O. Look that says, "Are we taking a picture now?"

Love you dad - glad you learned so much from your dad too.

Kels

This dude in the photos below is not my dad - it's my papa - I can never get enough of old photos:









No comments: