READ ON ABOUT:

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My 1st Real Visit to Hearst Castle

Anthony and I tried to get into this place once before - but realized all too late that you need a reservation and also that they pretty much close up shop around 5PM.

So these three people and I decided to start off our TRIP with a little Hearst Castle tour action. We took the beginners tour so we were taken through the front grounds, Casa Grande and the medium sized guest house which BY THE WAY had four bedrooms, four bathrooms, and two towers!


We decided we could easily live comfortably in the guy's gosh darn Gondola. But Hearst had money and he liked spending it.

I could go on and on about William Randolph Hearst because I really like his story and his history. But.... bloggers don't like to read as much as they all say so.. on with the photos.

Admiring the view
Pool #1. Third reconstruction with an actual piece of ancient Rome there.
The steps up to the main drive and courtyard
View from above

The view Hearst was looking for. I think he would consider this his backyard.

Casa Grande. Modeled after the Spanish Missions in CA as well as the Spanish Cathedrals in Spain.



I didn't take any pictures of the indoors - although there was quite a bit to be seen. The photos I decided weren't really worth paying so little attention to the tour guide.

If you're ever going to be in the San Simeon area (between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo on the Pacific Coast Highway) reserve a spot on one of the tours. They are totally worth it - even if you're not obsessed with ancient artifacts and art like me.

-Kels

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to tour this place, even when I was little. So many artifacts in one place! And the best examples you could find from every culture and era( or just about ). And fantastic photos, Kelsey! This is one thing the telly shows didn't get into ( their loss )is the surrounding vistas. And the pool is sooooo tempting :)