READ ON ABOUT:

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Theme Thursday - TOY

It is THEME THURSDAY once again and I am very excited about this post.

I know this week's post is supposed to be about TOYS. However, this past weekend I had the pleasure of viewing these videos on Youtube at the will of my second family (the dear Camellos) and now I can't get them out of my head.

These are clips from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" the 1960's version. They feature "The Child Catcher" who is trying to lure children out of the Toy Maker's home at the will of the Baroness who hates children.

I haven't seen the movie since I was very little so I don't remember much, but I do know a few things.

1. This guy is creepy
2. His hair is abnormally greasy and if I was baroness I would definitely make him shower more
and 3. His nose is quite a bit like the putty noses they use for the Mad Hatter in Disneyland and I think that is both funny and creepy at the same time

Sorry the second video has weird music to it, there isn't much of a selection on Youtube for clips of this guy running around with lollipops sticking out of his fingers.





Fun facts about our Child Catcher:

- He wasn't in the original story - Roald Dahl invented him for the movie
- In this film he is played by a ballet dancer (big career move dude!)
- He is considered one of the scariest villains of all time and in 2005 was voted #1 scariest in childrens' stories.

Happy Toy day everyone - sorry mine isn't very Toyish.

-Kels

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

kelsey!!! this will give me nightmares again!! i hate you(not really!)!!! lol

Anonymous said...

Chitty Chitty- one of the best films ever made!

Ronda Laveen said...

He IS creepy.He reminds me of the wicked witch in the Wiard of OZ. I think it is his hair and nose.

I LIKE the music in the second clip and especially the way he moves to it. It is joyfully ominus. When I read that he was ballet dancer, it all made sense. Nice.

Megan said...

I am still scared of the Child Catcher.

My son refused to even watch those parts of the film for the longest time - he'd put his head under the blanket, cover his ears, and hum loudly!

Kelsey said...

Ronda - that's funny! Someone else told me the same thing about him reminding them of the wicked witch.

-Kels

Mrsupole said...

Hi Kelsey,

Everything is "relative".

One persons toy, might be anothers chore or job, so it is relative. I think that is Albert Einstein who said that about relativity. And who are we to argue.

Great post. Scarey video. Gonna make the Grandkids watch this when they come this weekend. Need to see the whole movie again.

Thank you.

Cuppa Jo said...

I love this movie! And so very interesting that the author wrote about Bond cars for children as well as adults.

Cuppa Jo said...

Oh yeah, and the child catcher was really creepy. But I disliked him more because he was greasy. Nothing so putting off as an unwashed villain.

Renee said...

Kels-

I love all the trivia info about the Child Catcher. Of course again I introduce you to something and you take it one step further.

Kris McCracken said...

He comes across as too pervey...

Dot-Com said...

I remember watching this with some kids I was babysitting, but it resulted in too many nightmares *lol*

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kelsey! It's me! Lol
Like your blog!

Anyway about the movie..
1) I am really sad that in Indonesia the internet is too lousy that it could take an hour just to wait until I can watch the movie huhu x"(

2) I am glad I can't watch it because I don't like creepy movies.. always give me nightmares that can go for days hooo hooo

GailO said...

How did I ever miss seeing this movie? I guess I'm too old to have seen it and my children are too young to have seen it...I don't think I will introduce it to my grandchildren any time soon!

Jenn said...

ahhh this guy always scared me!!! hahhh and still does! :)